Candida wins the dubious award for being the area of natural health most riddled with misinformation.
So Candida spit test fits in nicely.
Many Candida-related websites tell you about a spit test that you can use to see if you have Candida or not.
It’s a nice trick because almost every one ‘fails’ this test. When people have ‘confirmed’ their Candida overgrowth it’s easy to sell them supplements and cleanses that’s supposed to kill Candida.
We also have a separate page on Candida and acne, in case you are interested to learn whether Candida has any effect on acne – the answer just might surprise you.
The ThreeLac Scam
What those websites don’t tell you that this so-called test was developed by a network marketing company Global Health Trax as a way to sell their ThreeLac probiotic supplements. Read more about the ThreeLac scam here.
The test has absolutely no bearing on Candida. People with Candida can pass it, and people who don’t have Candida overgrowth might fail it. But most people fail it (more on why below) and since the test seems reliable to people who don’t know better it’s easy to sell supplements, herbs and pills to correct this supposed problem.
Why Candida spit test is bogus?
Here’s how Candida spit test works.
First thing in the morning you spit into a glass of water. Then wait up to 60 minutes. If the water remains clear you don’t have Candida. But if you see ‘legs’ dripping down from your saliva and cloudy particles then you have Candida overgrowth.
What this test ‘measures’ is the thickness of your mucus. And that is affected by many more things than just Candida overgrowth. For example:
- Allergies can cause your body to expel thicker than normal mucus (ever had that thick goo coming out of your throat and mouth?
- Consumption of dairy products increases mucus production
- Level of dehydration
- Elimination of normal bodily waste material. The mouth is one way the body expels some waste material (through mucus), and this material is thicker than water and hence sinks
- Eating strong spices and other irritants. Ever had a bit too much chilly and soon after your nose started running and mucus coming out of your mouth? That’s your body eliminating the irritants in the chilly. Again this mucus sinks and has nothing to do with Candida
- Shedding of dead cells from the inside of your mouth. The skin inside your mouth is constantly renewing and dead cells are shed. There’s more of these dead cells in the morning because there hasn’t been any water to wash them out
- Bacteria in the mouth. There are more bacteria in your mouth in the morning (again because there has been nothing to wash them off). These bacteria can clump together and sink to the bottom of the glass
It’s easy to conclude that the Candida spit test is pure pseudo-science. You might as well flip a coin to see if you have Candida or not. At least that way you would have 50% change of being ‘cured’.
Don’t stress about Candida
I’m on a crusade against Candida spit test because now and then I get one of these emails.
A person tells me they feel fine and their acne is slowly getting better. But they keep failing the spit test. They get stressed because they’ve heard Candida causes acne. They feel their slow progress is because of Candida, and that they should do something about it.
While I agree that Candida can be a concern for some people, I find it hard to believe it’s as widespread as the natural health quack doctors want you to believe.
Tests like this spit test and the Candida questionnaires, that again everybody fails, throws their credibility into doubt.
For the vast majority of Candida ‘sufferers’ their symptoms can most likely be explained with stress, food allergies or other improper dietary choices, and with other factors that have nothing to do with Candida.
In closing, don’t worry even if you ‘fail’ the Candida spit test. It doesn’t mean anything.